HARPER, James 2
James is likely the son of John Harper (age >45, b. bef 1774), who is found living near the Clem family on the 1820 census in Reily, Butler County, Ohio.
James married Susannah KLEMM, daughter of Johann Conradt KLEMM and Susannah GREENWOOD, on 18 Mar 1819 in Butler County, Ohio.1 (Susannah KLEMM was born in 1801 in Kentucky.)
Himmelright, Estella Mae Clem, The Descendants of Johann and Susannah Klemm (Clem) and Allied Starr and Robertson Families (The descendants of Johann and Susannah Klemm (Clem) and allied Starr and Robertson families. Danville, Ill.: Genealogical Records Committee, Governor Bradford Chapter, Daughters of American Revolution, 1956.
). Surety: 3. Between 1807 and 1812, Johann Klemm moved his family to Butler County, Ohio, settled on 120 acres about five miles northeast and west of Hamilton, Ohio. He died April 18, 1827, leaving a will which he made in 1822. I have a photostat of this will and also a copy of the inventory of his personal property.
He willed his property to his "beloved wife, Susannah" and the "right of soil" to his sons. He mentioned his daughters, but did not give any of his children's names in [his] will, but I found at the courthouse in Hamilton, Ohio, where his eight sons had disposed of the 120 acres after his death. Here are the names of the children and whom they married:
1. George Clem, m. Mary Curry, Jan 14, 1808.
2. John Clem, Jr., m. Nancy Wood, Feb 8, 1810.
3. Barbara Clem, m. William Wood, March 1, 1810.
4. Henry Clem, 2nd. m. Martha Carmichael, June 30, 1825; 1st m. Isabella Hancock, April 2, 1812.
5. Jacob Clem, m. Rebecca Hill, June 5, 1818.
6. Susannah Clem, m. James Harper, March 18, 1819.
7. Samuel Clem, m. Nancy Hountz, October 4, 1821.
8. David Clem, m. Keziah Jones, April 17, 1828.
9. Nancy Clem, m. John Rickart, June 15, 1820.
10. Michael Clem, m. Jane ?, ?.
11. Peter Clem, m. Isabella ?, ?.
2 1820 US Census (Milford, Butler County, Ohio). Repository: Ancestry. Surety: 4. Lists James Harper (age 16-26, b. 1793-1803), wife [Susannah Clem] (age 16-26, b. 1793-1803) and children: 1 male (age <5, b. 1815-1820), living in Milford, Ohio. The record indicates that James is engaged in agriculture.