Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
CRARY, Christopher 1 2 3
- Born: Abt 1713, Groton, New London, Connecticut
- Marriage: ROBBINS, Elizabeth on 7 Mar 1737 in Voluntown, New London County, Connecticut
- Died: 6 Jun 1790, Wallingford, Rutland County, Vermont about age 77
Christopher married Elizabeth ROBBINS on 7 Mar 1737 in Voluntown, New London County, Connecticut. (Elizabeth ROBBINS was born in 1719 in Prob. Connecticut and died in 1796 in Prob. Vermont.)
Dewey, Louis Marinus Esq., Peter Crary of Groton, Conn. and Some of His Descendants, Vol. 1, p. 494. Surety: 4. 2. Robert² (Peterı) Crary lived at Groton, Conn., and married _________.
5. i. Christopher³, b. about 1713.
6. ii. William, b. about 1715.
7. iii. Robert, b. about 1717.
iv. Aaron, b. about 1719; d. before Dec. 4, 1781; a captain; m. at Griswold (Preston), Apr. 8, 1756, Mary Stanton.
8. v. Benjamin, b. about 1723.
9. vi. George, b. about 1725.
viii. Christobel, m. at Plainfield, Aug. 21, 1751, Nathaniel Marsh.
Ibid, Vol. 1, p. 494-495. Surety: 4. 5. Christopher³ Crary (Robert², Peterı), born about 1713, lived at Voluntown, Conn., and later settled at Clarendon, Vt., with his son, Ezra. He married, at Voluntown, Mar. 7, 1737, Elizabeth Robins.
10. i. Ezra, b. 30 July, 1737.
And perhaps other children.
Cutter, William Richard, Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Building of a Nation (New York: Lewis Publishing Company, 1911). Surety: 4. (III) Christopher, son of Robert Crary, was born in 1713, died in 1790. He married Elizabeth Robbins, born 1719, died 1796.
. I suspect that Cutter is mistaken in his belief that Daniel married Dorothy Morgan Witter, the widow of Deacon Ebenezer Witter. Although Cutter's assumption may be correct, evidence appears to suggest that the marriage was actually between Daniel and Ebenezer Witter and Dorothy Morgan Witter's daughter, Dorothy:
1. Dorothy Morgan Witter is buried beside Ebenezer Witter at Avery Cemetery (in Ledyard) as "Mrs. Dorothy Witter," not as Dorothy Witter Brewster. No mention of a second husband is made in her epitaph.
2. A burial record exists at Brewster's Neck Cemetery (in Preston) for Dorothy Witter Brewster, whose birthdate exactly matches that of Ebenezer and Dorothy's daughter.
More research is needed to confirm or disprove my hypothesis.